Since panic is not a strategy, it’s time for innovation!
If you are the MD of a small business, I think it’s fair to pay your staff before or right about now so they can also stock up their households. This lockdown should be around for at least a month. But first, I think you should first have a “moment of clarity” meeting with your team by given them work condition options just when you are paying them for this month that is about to end.
Moment Of Clarity with Your Team
Depending on the nature of your business and how solid your finances are, the options should be that they can go on an indefinite break henceforth without pay pending when the pandemic ends or they can work remotely with pay but with clear cut terms for their next salary. If you’re to still have a business with jobs, I will strongly suggest that payment should be done by performance. This brings me to today’s *Hexavian business tip*.
-Performance and parameters for working from home should be spelt out. I think it’s best and mutually beneficial to both the employees and employers to make it a case of Management by Objectives (MBO). “`
Choose and define your virtual team and communication technology*. “`You can either use a mere WhatsApp Group or Slack backed by shared Google Drive for data storage and file sharing. And then you can use one of the free virtual meeting softwares like Zoom, Free Webinair app or Google Hangout for videos and the likes of Trello and Bitrix 24 for task and project management. Bigger teams can see how scalable their ERPs are.
.As for *monitoring their work and performance* , let me suggest the following #HexavianBusinessTips
1. “`Daily virtual check in and check outs ( just like they do in the office), also once a document or information is shared on your virtual platform or WhatsApp group, there should be an acknowledgment of all documents sent in on your virtual platforms ( that’s really the only way you can know that they are still working and following up on task).
2. Activate more aggressively the adherence to weekly reports. A template of that weekly report should be developed by you or the HR ( it must contain a column for all that was achieved last week. And to be achieved the coming week. This should be on a unit by unit basis). With this, the heads of unit can submit it to a general grid or make shift dashboard and they can also track who is doing what and what happens and how well it was done afterwards.
3. Daily Reports : Also, beyond weekly unit reports as stated above, individually from henceforth will need a daily report on what was done the previous day and to be achieved the current day. It must be sent by the the start of the day.
If you run a retail store, you may need to consider setting up a select few personnel you may call the “essential team” in your store ( you can give those a “Hazard allowance” to motivate them if necessary. They are mainly to process/prepare stocks for delivery. They can be supported through 1.Teleconferencing person(s) from home to take orders, manage transactions and enquiries. Communiques and posts can be placed at shop floor doors redirecting customers online ( and that you ar still open to take orders and deliver) when you have to shut down..
2. Delivery team (maybe outsourced) I will suggest two optional dispatch delivery firms to ensure smooth logistics of orders.
3. More budgets for digital marketing, especially for Instagram marketing. More people are likely to be home and will access the internet and social media more. This is the best to engage people actually. More sales can come from this part.
4. A sales and enquiry reporting templates that the “essential””” back office guys can monitor. This brings me to recaliberating work processes for back office people.
*Set targets and penalties*
Targets should be numerical and timeline based. And penalty should clearly state consequences on what happens whenever this is failed. Rewards should also be given on exceptional performances. “`
In other news, always remember that *panic is not a strategy*. Try to stay off too much news and social media. More importantly, stay calm, stay hydrated, healthy fit and sanitized and positive.
I look forward to helping you and your team create the best framework and manage productivity for your operations while you all are working from home. We have a special and affordable consulting package for this. Keep your business going and growing while everyone is indoors. Feel free to chat me up this season.